Wednesday 26 November 2014

Parasite Positive Review

Title: Parasite Positive

Author: Scott Westerfeld

Release date: 7th June 2007

Publisher: Atom

One year ago, Cal Thompson was a college freshman more interested in meeting girls and partying in New York City than in attending class. Then he met a girl called Morgan, they had a fun night together and she passed on a parasite that turns people into ravenous vampires. You know how it goes.

Cal himself is only a carrier, but he has infected the girlfriends he has had since Morgan, and it’s now his job to hunt them down before they can create even more of their kind.

Cal is carrying an infectious parasite which has completely ruined his social life! As a carrier, Cal has become part of the Night Watch to track down those who have not been so lucky and have been turned into murderous beasts by the disease. But when the parasite begins to change and adapt, using different hosts, can the Night Watch save New York?

This review is for my brother, Kane, who would love this book! Kane is currently off doing the student thing at Bangor University and I am very proud of him. He is very interested in Science-y stuff (he is studying Zoology with Marine Biology) and this is definitely for anyone who likes an element of non-fiction to their novels.

This book was relocated to my local library recently and it was the unusual title that made me pick it up. I know it is quite a few years old but I am so glad I gave the book a chance! I really enjoyed it because it offered me something different as a reader. In between the chapters there are brief scientific interludes which offer more details about parasites.... which is weird.... and a little disturbing... but also really interesting and (I hate to use this word again but) different! It is almost like a crime novel with the background to the characters being revealed, adding another element to the tale and allowing us to see more than an average bystander would. Well in this novel, the background to parasites is given. Like I said, it is a little disturbing and eeewwww! at times but really useful for the rest of the book, giving it context and also expanding the novel in a way that I have never seen any other vampire novel do. These chapters also allow the reader to understand the situation just as Cal does as a member of the Night Watch so that we can ground the novel in real 21st century science.

The character of Cal is really easy to engage with because he is so realistic and unapologetic. He is a young man, hungry and horny and frightened and raw and the author really captures his spirit and instils it in his actions and reactions. Written from Cal’s point of view the book is one long flow of emotional energy.

I know I have stressed the science element of the book, and I think that made the story for me, but there are so many effective layers which Scott Westerfeld brings together, his characters are engaging and believable and the story is rooted in fact, this could happen. It is also an unusual look at the vampire, their lore and mythology and links myths with the historical facts, not just the scientific ones.

I want to recommend this book to anyone who likes reading (and that isn’t a flippant remark). What I mean by this is that Parasite Positive offers something unusual in the way that it is written and so even if you aren’t keen on the content, I think that you would enjoy the form. If  you like traditional vampires, you might be taken aback but I am a big fan of the vampire (as much as you can be of a blood sucking maniac!) and I enjoyed it.

5/5 If you are a tiny bit squeamish then avoid this book but otherwise YOU MUST READ IT! I am looking forward to getting the sequel!



No comments:

Post a Comment