Sunday 2 June 2013

Leave it to Eva Review

Title: Leave it to Eva

Author: Judi Curtin

Release Date: 1st August 2012

Publisher: O’Brien Press

Fun, feisty Eva Gordon always tries to help her friends, but this time she might have a problem that’s too big even for her ...
When Eva and her family got to Seacove, she’s looking forward to seeing her friend Kate, but things have gone very wrong for Kate and this time Eva’s not sure if she should help her.
It’s not just Seacove Eva’s visiting – her friend Ruby offers her the chance of a visit to London. And there may be a way the trip with Ruby can help Eva sort things out for everyone...

If you have a problem that needs solving, just leave it to Eva!
 
Eva’s trip to Seacove is a much awaited one, she is really looking forward to catching up with her friends Lily and Kate. However, when Eva arrives in Seacove, she finds that things have changed since her last visit. Lily and Kate are no longer friends, Kate is holding a dangerous secret... one that  could get her into a lot of trouble. Eva’s friend, Ruby, is also having trouble in London, will Eva have time to fix everything before the end of the holidays?

I've recently begun working with a group of young people, listening to them read in my local high school. What struck me as interesting when working with these groups is how many children would love to read something exciting, with a fun story but simple language... Leave it to Eva is one of those stories. Written from the point of Eva, a determined and friendly young woman, the story follows her holiday adventures in Seacove and London. Eva can’t help but make her friend’s business her business and surprisingly, her determination means she manages to solve a lot of their problems.

I’m not sure if I would be able to stand having a friend like Eva, at times she seems a bit disloyal and does tend to thrust her input onto her friend’s lives which has surprisingly positive consequences... I tend to be a bit cynical in this respect, thinking that maybe things wouldn’t quite happen like that in real life. (I do realise the importance of escapism and am not for one second suggesting that the happy ending wasn’t vital to my enjoyment of the book). Eva is just such an unusual character in that, despite my determination to dislike her, I found I couldn’t help myself by the end! I’m slightly disappointed that I missed out on reading the first two Eva books before this one as they follow on in a sequence and explore her friendships in greater detail.

I did actually really enjoy this book. I found Eva’s character really captivating and the novel had an uplifting ending, despite the real life difficult issues that her friends face. The book deals with families, neglect, disability and friendships in a brutally honest way which contrasts with a positive escapist ending. I would recommend this title mainly to female readers who fancy something light and easy going but that deals with real themes and has a steady plot line.

4.5/5 For younger readers or those who would like something with simpler language.

With special thanks to O’Brien Press for sending me a copy of the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment