Wednesday 5 June 2013

Enjoying Literature

I just wanted to add my opinion to the current debate that has been inspired by Michael Gove’s comments about Stephanie Meyer’s Twilight series. Amongst a million others on the net, Malorie Blackman, brilliant author of readable, unpretentious literature and current children’s laureate, has slated Michael Gove and those who don’t understand the importance of enjoying literature.

As mentioned previously, I work with a group of young people in a high school and I also work in a library. What worries me is the number of children who can’t read at all and I would be overjoyed if, at age 17, 100% of children in the country could read something as complex as Twilight. To those of us who read extensively, daily, whether for work or pleasure, Twilight is a novel which would be an easy read, trashy escapism (which I highly approve of actually!) that doesn’t require much thought other than whether the book is as good as the film.

However, to those children who don’t have the opportunity to read literature regularly (I agree with Malorie Blackman about the importance of using our public libraries but many people in the UK still don’t have a library card), Twilight allows them to fall into another world temporarily, experiencing the joy of lexis, syntax and plot lines. Why oh why are we not encouraging reading at whatever level? Leave it to Eva and The Black Cat detective agency (which is up next for review) are both really simple, enjoyable books, yes, they were made from children but I can enjoy them at 21 just as well as I would have done at 12.

Everyone starts their reading somewhere. I know a gentleman who is just learning to read again after developing dementia. He learnt to read later in life and now has no recollection on how to read the books that he once enjoyed. Luckily, through the use of audio books and the physical copy of the book, he is slowly being able to recognise words again. I realise this is an extreme example but what I’m trying to get across is the importance of reading at any and any level. I do agree that children of a certain age can get great pleasure from reading the classics. I read Jekyll and Hyde as part of my degree for the first time and found it fascinating – but I would not have been able to read a novel like that (or probably wanted to) without the love of literature that I developed as a child.

So, for anyone who doesn’t believe in the importance of graphic novels, comics, slushy teenage romance, chick lit, sci-fi or any awesome sub-genre that are actually underrepresented and unappreciated as brilliant works of art (if they are funny, emotive, engaging or imaginative then they stand out as effective literature surely?), look at what you read as a child. Look at how you were inspired to love literature and language and how your ability to read has shaped your life. Only by reading things we enjoy can we place ourselves in the world of literature, develop our reading skills and hone in on the genres we enjoy whether this be classics or comics. Being able to read and enjoying reading are much more important than knowing the ins and outs of the classics... no matter how old you are.

For more information check out:-

This brilliant article by Isabel Hardman:

Or  Malorie Blackman’s views:

No comments:

Post a Comment