Thursday 10 January 2013

Happy New Year


Happy New Year blog readers!

I can honestly say that this year has been one of my busiest (hence the lack of blog posts). The year began with my final year of uni and I got my first full time job working as a library assistant. I also turned 21, completed my degree, got engaged, moved out of the family home (for the first time) and passed my driving test (after learning to drive for what seems like forever). Despite all these exciting and happy times, something awful happened this year. Over the summer, my grandad passed away. He wasn't an old grandad, he wasn't an ill grandad, shockingly he was diagnosed with cancer and a week later he died. It came as a shock to everyone and it still surprises me in a morning when I remember he's not here anymore.

I know for a fact (and I also know how cliché this sounds) that my grandad would be so proud of everything I have achieved this year. He was so eager for me to pass my driving test and so excited about my graduation and although he didn't get to see either of those things I know that he would be over the moon.

So, this year, one of my resolutions is to appreciate what I have. My mum and my brother were both so supportive during my stressful time at uni and I can only hope that I can support them just as much. My mum is studying with the Open University while holding down a full time job and running the family home and my brother is currently at college and also learning to drive (he is already a better driver than me!).

My wonderful fiancĂ© is well... wonderful (although don't tell him I said that) and we live in a little cottage/library in a little town and he lets me drive his car. We are planning a small scale but ridiculously fabulous wedding for next year so that is REALLY exciting!  I could go on and on about my lovely friends my sometimes lovely job etc but I need to get down to the bit about the books.

While my New Year's resolution involves being cheerful and loving towards those I care about, my New Year's 'Challenge' relates to this blog. I have neglected this blog and those wonderful people who read my ramblings and so I have set myself the following challenge:-

By this time next year I will have:-

Read the pile of books stacked next to my bed.

Read the books currently on my library card (that have been renewed so many times I've lost count)

AND

(here's the bit I think you might find awesomely amazing- or not)

Read the entire collection of teenage stock at my local library!

Now ... Brierfield isn't the biggest library so there aren't thousands and there could be difficulties due to stock rotation, new stock and borrower's... well... borrowing things but I'm determined to give it a go.

I just wondered if anyone else would like to join me in the challenge? I thought it would give me the opportunity to read a variety of new things and also check out any stock gaps (which is sort of part of my job).

So wish me luck on the 2013 Library Literature challenge!

And have a wonderful and exciting New Year filled with wonderful and exciting things!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment