Tuesday 23 July 2013

My Mad Fat Diary Review


Title: My Mad Fat Diary

Author: Rae Earl
Release Date: 23rd August 2007

Publisher: Hodder paperbacks
 
It’s 1989, and Rae is a fat, boy-mad 17-year-old girl, living in Stamford, Lincolnshire with her mum and their deaf white cat in a council house with a mint off-green bath suite and a larder Rae can’t keep away from. This is the hilarious and touching real-life diary she kept during that fateful year.

My Mad Fat Diary evokes a vanished time when Charles and Di are still together, the Berlin wall is up, Kylie is expected to disappear from the charts at any moment and it’s £1.30 for a snakebite and black down the Vaults pub. It will speak to anyone who has ever been a confused, lonely teenager who clashes with their mother, takes themselves VERY seriously and has no idea how hilarious they are.
Rae Earl is a teenage girl growing up in the 80s. Just realised from a psychiatric hospital, she is trying to fit in again with society. But between her mum’s new boyfriend, fancying almost every boy she meet, keeping up with a hectic social life down the pub and revising for her exams, Rae is finding life stressful. Luckily she has her diary to confide in!

I was inspired to read this after watching the hilarious tv show on E4 based on the book. I was not disappointed. Rae Earl summarises what it is to be a teenage girl without a boyfriend (when everyone else is in couples) and who feels insecure about her image... believe me, we’ve all been there. What I thought was hilarious was the way she  got very mixed messages about whether guys were ‘into her’ or not ... it was very very true to life! But I don’t want to put anyone off if they think this is just one girl’s rant about how hard her life is... far from it. Rae appears to experience the highs and lows of growing up just like any teenage girl (although she has just come out of a psychiatric ward) and eventually finds friends that she fits in with, not those who cannot accept the way she is.
The TV show was slightly different from the book as some of the things which happen to the characters are slightly different. The TV series definitely has a more definitive ending than the book; I felt the two complemented each other wonderfully. I couldn’t read the book without picturing Sharon Rooney who plays Rae Earl in the series writing down those thoughts (She is a brilliant actress).

Rae refers to a lot of songs/artists within the diary. I wasn’t around in the 80s (being born in 1991) and I thought that (by listening to a lot of the tunes on youtube) I was able to get a feel of the music scene in the 80s and I really enjoyed it!
I would recommend this book to anyone who fancies a laugh. It was really enjoyable and I think boys may even appreciate the humour (and they also get to see inside the mind of a teenage girl!).  This brilliant book offers an insight into life in the 80s, Rae has to use a public phone box because she doesn’t have a home telephone and she records songs of the radio and makes mixed tapes, and I thought many people, whether they were around in the 80s or not, would appreciate this. I think that everyone will get something different from this book as it has so much to offer on many levels, humour, history, culture, relationships and a fascinating teenage life.

5/5 An absolute riot!
For more information on the tv series check out http://www.e4.com/mymadfatdiary/

Series 2 to follow in 2014... I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment